A 7-day diet plan to lose weight
Are you taking more calories than the requirements? But how to know? A calorie is a unit of dietary energy. More calories will start accumulating in the form of excess fat. The research on nutrition has allowed us to lose our excessive fat through the diet.
Why lose weight?
Excessive fat not only damages your appearance and body shape, but it also increases the incidence of diseases too e.g., fatty liver, diabetes, heart diseases, hypertension, sleep apnoea etc...
According to a 2019 healthy survey, 28% of British adults are obese and many more are on the way to becoming obese. So, lowering the daily caloric intake is the mainstay of most weight-reducing strategies and you have to formulate your regular diet accordingly.
What should a weight loss consist of?
Losing weight does not need you to starve. You just need to take fewer calories. The purpose is to force the body to mobilise its fat and protein reserves. According to CDC, a healthy diet should be formulated from all food groups e.g., vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low fat or fat-free milk, lean meats, legumes, eggs, seeds and nuts. The foods rich in added sugars, trans fats, saturated fat and cholesterol are to be avoided.
Generally, food items with a low glycemic index (less than 55), high fibre and low fats are selected. A number of weight loss dieting ideas are available and used by people throughout the world e.g.,
The DASH diet (dietary approach to stop hypertension)
It is a low-carb diet (a keto diet). Carbohydrates are an instant source of energy. If you reduce the intake of carbohydrates, your body will use fat instead of glucose to produce energy. The production of energy from fats consumes more calories. in this way, it promotes .weight loss by burning more calories.
This diet is based on seafood, olive oil and plant-based foods that are used in Mediterranean countries.
It is a flexible vegetarian diet in which you can occasionally use meat and fish alongside your regular vegan diet. The idea is to avoid deficiencies while on the vegan diet.
But, how a plan can be followed strictly? It will be easy to follow a plan that is based on regular foodstuffs.
A sample 7-day plan for weight loss
The plan mentioned below is based on some very common ingredients which most of you are familiar with. These diets are planned to give you 1200-1500 calories daily (against the average daily requirement of 2000-2500). It incorporates the features of different diets mentioned above and is based on scientific facts.
However, it is for reference only. Keep in mind that weight loss and body weight are not so Simple things. You have to be dynamic. You can add more calories if you have a more strenuous daily routine.
Make your breakfast from bran flakes, banana and skimmed milk. Chop one banana, add 3/4 cup of the bran flakes and a full cup of milk. Bran flakes are rich in insoluble fibre that improves digestion.
Use the following ingredients to make a delicious sandwich.
- Whole wheat pita (Mini)
- Turkey breasts (3 ounces)
- Mayonnaise 1 teaspoon
- Lettuce 1 teaspoon
- Mustard 1 teaspoon
Add a few kiwis and use them with mozzarella cheese. You can also add healthy snacks if you like.
Seafood is the best idea for dinner. Take 4 ounces of any seafood, chop 2 medium tomatoes, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of shredded cheese and broil it until it becomes golden. Add one cup of steamed broccoli or cooked couscous. To change the taste, you can add some low calories to desserts e.g., chocolate cookies.
On the second day, you can add a bit more variety to your diet. The plan goes as;
You can use oatmeal as it has health benefits. Oatmeal is rich in fibre and is also a good source of antioxidants. The recipe can be of your own choice. You can take 3/4 cup of oatmeal, cook it in water and finally stir it with a half cup of skim milk. The milk should be fat-free (skim milk)
- 2 links of turkey sausages can add required proteins to your diet.
- One cup of blueberries will take care of your vitamin worries, particularly vitamin c.
It is a good habit to replace a regular meal with healthy snacks.
- A good option is to take half a cup of fat-free cheese and mix it with one tablespoon of chopped pecans and a half cup of raspberries.
- Another good snack can be prepared by mixing half a cup of salsa with a half cup of cottage cheese (fat-free as always).
You can use a turkey burger to take care of your food cravings. Broccoli and cauliflower can be roasted to get a healthy burger. One cup of spinach salad could be combined with 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinaigrette.
Limit your breakfast to fruits and yoghurt. Use only 200g of low-fat and no-sugar-added yoghurt. One plate serving of fruits is enough. 200ml fruit juice with 1 apple and 2 nectarines is sufficient.
Use the following ingredients to prepare the seafood recipe;
- Tuna (200g), tinned in drained Springwater
- 2 cups of mixed salad vegetables (a combination of tomatoes, cucumber, and lettuce).
- 1 slice of cheese
- 2 tablespoons of avocado powder
- 2 slices of bran (multigrain) bread
Pork chops cooked in vegetables are a good idea. The recipe can include the following ingredients
- grilled lean meats (pork chops or any other lean meat)
- 1 medium-sized baked potato
- 1/2 cup of chopped and cooked vegetables (broccoli, carrot, squash)
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil as dressing or as for cooking. Olive oil is an essential element of the Mediterranean diet and should be a part of any healthy diet used for weight loss.
You can relish your flavour by using fresh fruit salad (1 cup)
Healthy snacks can include
- Whole grain crackers
- 40g of low-fat cheese
Avocado toast can be good for weight loss. Avocado burns body fat and also lowers the appetite. Take 2 slices of multigrain bread and use 2 tablespoons of mashed avocado on them.
Continue to maintain low energy lunch. You can prepare a soup from barley, chickpea and vegetables (vegetable soup). A good recipe can include the following ingredients;
- Chickpeas 3/4 cups
- cooked vegetables 1 cup (use any combination of spinach, onion, tomatoes, celery, or carrot according to your own taste and likeness).
- cooked barley (3/4 cups)
Take a protein diet to fulfil protein and calorie intake. One serving of beef with 2 cups of cooked vegetables will provide enough proteins and amino acids.
One cup of Greek yoghurt can be combined with nuts and seeds. Don't forget that the yoghurt should be low in fat and have no added sugar.
- Low-fat cheese (20g)
- fruits (berries or diced watermelon- 1 cup)
Use fruit porridge on the fifth morning. Take rolled oats (half a cup) and 2 cups of berries. Cook with water and a half cup of skim milk. Oats promote weight loss as they are rich in fibre and minerals. They also lower insulin levels and help regulate blood glucose levels.
Take 1 serving of Tofu Misu soup. 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 cups of salad will make it a perfect vegetarian diet.
Take a protein source without fat. An excellent recipe can be prepared from the following ingredients,
- Grilled chicken (100g)
- Mix vegetables (eggplant, broccoli, carrot etc...) 1.5 cup
- Medium corn (1 medium-sized on the cob)
- Use healthy fats as a dressing or for cooking (2 tablespoons)
A fruit smoothie prepared from skim milk (1 cup) and fruits (2 cups of berries and 1 medium-sized banana) will be a delicious dessert.
Use low-fat, low-sugar yoghurt and mix with unsalted and roasted nuts.
Add fruits with milk and muesli. One medium banana, 1 cup muesli, and one cup low-fat skim milk would suffice.
Relish your taste buds with a chicken burger. Remember to make it in the home. A typical recipe for such a burger will be;
- Grilled chicken 100g
- Chopped vegetables (tomato, lettuce, counter) 1 cup
- bread rolls (grainy) 2 pieces
- Avocado powder 1 tablespoon
Take your required proteins from lamb chops and vegetables. Prepare the dish from the following ingredients
- Fat trimmed lamb chop (grilled) 1 large-sized piece
- 1 medium-sized potato mashed with a splash of skim milk and a few tablespoons of margarine
- 1.5 cups of mashed vegetables (according to your likeness but typically include broccoli, carrot and pumpkin)
Parfait made from yoghurt and mango will satisfy your taste buds. It is a frozen dessert which is made from cream, fruits, sugary syrup and eggs.
Prepare the dessert by layering half a cup of sliced mango with 200g of yoghurt (low fat) and a few tablespoons of chopped nuts.
Cheese (20g) can be combined with a fruit e.g., kiwi, apple, apricot and mandarin.
prepare your breakfast with sourdough and scrambled eggs. The ingredients are;
- 2 eggs (scrambled)
- 2 slices of toasted sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons avocado powder
- 1 tablespoon of margarine
- 1 medium-sized fruit of your liking
Eat a cheese sandwich enriched with salad and avocado. The following ingredients can give you a delicious and low-carb diet.
- 2 cups of chopped salad vegetables (capsicum, cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, carrot)
- 40g low fat and hard cheese
- 2 slices of multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons avocado powder
Use seafood with vegetable salad as an appetiser. A good recipe can have the following ingredients;
- 125g of any seafood (e.g., salmon)
- 1 cup of brown rice (cooked)
- 1.5 cups of steamed vegetables e.g., squash, cauliflower, broccoli).
Try fruit pop. It is made by combining frozen fruits with Greek yoghurt. Fruits can include mangoes, bananas or any of your choice.
A tub of low-fat yoghurt without any added sugars.
Some useful tips for weight loss
Remember that losing weight is much more difficult than gaining it. You can choose any of the dietary choices according to your likeness. The goal of an ideal weight loss program is to maintain an ideal and healthy weight. You should eat foods of all varieties but with a useful balance. With any of the programs, the following tips can help you enormously.
- Don't limit your food intake. Prepare your meals from all food groups and eat a diverse variety of nutritionally dense foods.
- Maintaining a weight and food diary can help you immensely. Successful weight loss can't be achieved without rigorous self-monitoring. Record all of your weight-related experiences.
- Regular exercise and physical activity should always be coupled with healthy foods. Exercise improves your mental and physical health equally. if you are not accustomed to exercising, start with minimal exercise and gradually increase its duration and intensity. Include various activities in your daily routine which increase your physical exercise. These can include outdoor games, gardening, raking leaves, walking with a dog, dancing, climbing the stairs etc...
- Keep a close eye on what you are drinking. Many times, you are eating healthy but may not be aware of the huge calories you are drinking with tea, sugary drinks, alcohol etc... Use simple water, coffee and unsweetened tea as long as you have replaced your regular meals with smoothies.
- Take a measure of what you are eating. Even if you are taking low-caloric foods, taking too much of them can also cause weight gain. Use guides to determine serving sizes as unfamiliarity with the serving sizes can hinder your ability to lose weight.
- Always keep in mind the purpose of why what and where are you eating. It is one of the important healthy habits. Before selecting any food, recall how many calories it is providing, check for the ingredient label on the processed foods and always check if the ingredients are healthy or not.
- Make your environment conducive to weight loss. Some activities can stimulate unnecessary food intake e.g., watching movies etc... Identify the habits which can increase your food intake.
- Develop and follow the plans. Don't move randomly. Plan your meals accordingly and purchase your foods according to your weight loss program. Remove junk and processed foods from your kitchen and replace them with ingredients for simple and healthful meals.
- Keep your emotionally strong. Constant worries and tensions can spoil any weight loss program. Take support from your loved ones and life partner in this arduous journey. Sharing your progress on social media platforms or with your loved ones can motivate you. It is always worthwhile to join social clubs and counselling programs.
- Keep yourself positive and patient. Keep in mind that healthy eating can benefit you only in the long run and you should not expect any progress overnight. As you follow a program for a long, the self-change can become more and more difficult. A negative outlook and lack of patience are big hurdles in the way of successful weight loss. However, you can adjust your goals whenever you feel necessary. Consult a nutritionist at all stages of the weight loss program.
Everyone is tempted to lose weight. But, few are aware of how weight loss works and even more few have the necessary patience to follow any.
Keep in mind that your life is your responsibility. Following a healthy diet plan will remove excess fat from your body and make you feel healthy, lightweight and satisfied. Follow this plan and give feedback on how it works for you.
To learn more about weight loss, see our information page here.
Plus get the inside scoop on our latest content and updates in our monthly newsletter.