Next day delivery
Discreet & confidential
UK licensed medication
EMLA Cream is a local anaesthetic that creates a numbing feeling. Suitable for short-term use before an injection or needle is administered to lessen pain and discomfort. It contains the active ingredients, prilocaine and lidocaine.
Emla is also used ''off-label'' in the treatment of premature ejaculation.
100% UK-based pharmacies
Free advice and support
Free delivery over £40
We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
What is EMLA Cream?
EMLA Cream is a local anaesthetic that works by numbing the surface of the skin for a short amount of time. Often it is used before medical procedures, injections and blood tests to stop the pain felt on the skin.
How does it work?
EMLA Cream contains the two local anaesthetic ingredients, lidocaine and prilocaine. These medicines work to quickly stop the nerves from sending pain signals to your brain. EMLA Cream will numb the area where it has been applied to ensure little to no pain is felt.
Is EMLA Cream suitable for me?
You should not use EMLA Cream if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
The product images shown may represent the range of products, or be for illustration purposes only and may not be an exact representation of the product.
All medications can cause potential side effects, below we have listed some potential side effects, however, these do not always occur.
- A mild reaction (paleness or redness of the skin, slight puffiness, initial burning or itching) may occur on the area on which EMLA is used. These are normal reactions to the cream and the anaesthetics and will disappear in a short while without any measures being needed.
- Transient local skin reactions (paleness, redness, swelling) in the treated area during treatment of skin, genital mucosa or leg ulcers.
- An initially mild sensation of burning, itching or warmth at the treated area during treatment of genital mucosa or leg ulcers.
Disclaimer: This website does not constitute as medical advice, you should also consult with a doctor before taking medication. If you experience any major reactions to any medication you are taking, you must seek immediate medical attention.
Next Day Delivery Guarantee
All orders placed before 14:00 on weekdays will be delivered the next working day. For the majority of the UK, medication will be dispatched by Royal Mail, Monday to Friday, if ordered before 14:00. Dispatches are sent using Royal Mail's Next-Day Tracked 24-Hour service. We will email you tracking information directly and you should receive your order the day after dispatch.
Our Discreet Packaging Promise
We know that many of our customers turn to us when they need personal medication, preferring to use our online service rather than shopping for the product face to face. That is why our delivery is always discreetly packaged in plain brown boxes or enveloped. You will not have to worry about any content descriptions, and the package will be for your eyes only!
Commonly Used Dosage Guidelines for EMLA Cream.
Where to put the cream, how much to use and how long to leave it on will depend on what it is used for. Half a 5 g tube corresponds to about 2 g EMLA Cream. One gram of EMLA Cream pressed out of a tube of 30g is approximately 3.5 cm.
- EMLA Cream should be used on the genitals only by a doctor or nurse.
- When EMLA Cream is used on leg ulcers, a doctor or nurse should supervise its use.
Adults, for use on the skin before small procedures (such as having a needle put in or minor skin operations):
- The cream is put on to the skin in a thick layer. Follow the instructions on the leaflet or those from your health care professional. In certain cases your healthcare professional has to apply the cream.
- The cream is then covered by a dressing [plastic wrap]. This is taken off just before the procedure starts. If you are applying the cream yourself, make sure that you have been given dressings by your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
- The usual dose for adults and adolescents over 12 years is 2 g (grams).
- For adults and adolescents over 12 years put the cream on at least 60 minutes before the procedure (unless the cream is being used on the genitals). However, do not put it on more than 5 hours before.
For Premature Ejaculation:
- Apply a pea-sized amount to cover the glans penis (head of the penis), if you have foreskin you will need to retract that to apply the cream.
- It should be applied 20 minutes before the intercourse.
- And washed off 20 mins after the application.
- Emla cream may damage latex condoms.
DO NOT apply on broken or damaged skin.
Disclaimer: This website does not provide medical advice. No information listed on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment before undergoing a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
EMLA Cream Patient Leaflet
How it works
This is a quick process and should only take 1 - 2 minutes. All of your answers are confidential, and just like a GP consultation, you will know what treatment is most suitable for you instantly upon completion.
Once you have completed the quick online form, select the treatment option most suitable to you and checkout securely.
A medical professional will review your answers to the online medical consultation and determine if it’s safe to prescribe and what treatments are available.
Buy EMLA Cream Online
Please note the information below is intended for general knowledge, please read the patient information leaflet and/or the information provided by a healthcare professional for more specific guidance. This information should not substitute medical advice.
You can buy EMLA Cream online from our UK-registered online pharmacy partners. Complete an online consultation form and our system will show you if you are eligible to purchase EMLA Cream online. Our pharmacists will then review your order of EMLA Cream and dispatch it discreetly to your address.
How to buy EMLA Cream online?
You can buy EMLA Cream by following the following steps.
- Fill out our online consultation form
- If you are eligible to purchase EMLA Cream you will be shown it as one of your treatment options
- Pay online and receive your order to the comfort of your chosen address
Can I get EMLA Cream on the NHS?
Whether or not you can get EMLA Cream on the NHS is dependent on your local guidelines and eligibility status. It is best to contact your local GP service if you are unsure of whether you can get EMLA Cream from the NHS.
Can you get EMLA Cream over the counter?
No, you can’t get EMLA Cream over the counter without a prescription or consultation. EMLA Cream is a regulated medication so all purchases need to have a prescription and/or suitable consultation form completed.
Can I buy EMLA Cream online even if I have never taken it before?
A prescribing pharmacist will need to review your consultation form before the medication can be dispatched. One of our partner prescribing pharmacists will review the consultation form and will decide if you are eligible to buy EMLA Cream.
Is EMLA Cream safe?
If you have been prescribed EMLA Cream then it is at the discretion of the prescriber.
However, all medications can potentially have adverse effects and should be taken exactly as prescribed. If you experience any side effects when taking EMLA Cream then you should contact a doctor immediately.
Are there any foods that should be avoided when taking EMLA Cream?
We recommend you read the patient information leaflet for this product thoroughly before taking the treatment. This is essential to understanding any interactions that can occur and to take the medication safely.
How long does EMLA Cream take to work?
The time it takes for a EMLA Cream to work can vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the strength, the individual's age, weight, and overall health, as well as any potential interactions with other medications or substances. Generally, the effects of EMLA Cream may be noticeable within the time frame outlined by the prescribing pharmacist. It is important to follow the prescribed dosage and instructions provided by your healthcare professional, and to consult them if you have any concerns or questions about the medication's efficacy or possible side effects.
How effective is EMLA Cream?
The effectiveness of EMLA Cream can vary significantly depending on various factors, such as the dosage, the condition being treated, the individual's age, weight, and overall health, as well as the presence of any other medications or substances that might interact with it. While some medications may be highly effective for certain individuals and conditions, others might experience a lesser degree of benefit or may require adjustments to the dosage or additional treatments to achieve the desired results.
What are the risks of taking EMLA Cream?
At Welzo, we are dedicated to providing our customers with accurate and comprehensive information about medications. We believe that understanding the potential risks and side effects associated with a medication is essential for making informed decisions about your health. This guide outlines some general considerations for assessing the risks of medication and includes references to the National Health Service (NHS) for further information.
- Read the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL): Every medication comes with a Patient Information Leaflet, which provides essential details about the drug, its uses, and potential side effects. Be sure to read this leaflet carefully before starting any new medication. The Electronic medicines compendium has a list of patient leaflets. you can visit by heading to medicines.org
- Be aware of potential side effects: All medications have the potential to cause side effects, ranging from mild and short-lived symptoms to more serious, long-lasting issues. It's important to understand the possible side effects of a medication and how to manage them. The NHS has a helpful resource on managing medication side effects, while also speaking to a healthcare professional is important in understanding any potential risks of taking EMLA Cream.
- Interactions with other medications: Some medications may interact with others, leading to increased side effects or reduced effectiveness. Make sure to inform your healthcare professional about all the medications and supplements you are currently taking. The NHS offers a useful tool for checking potential drug interactions here.
- Contraindications and precautions: Certain medical conditions or factors may make it unsafe for you to take a particular medication. Before starting any new medication, inform your healthcare professional about your medical history and any current health issues. The NHS provides more information about contraindications and precautions here.
- Appropriate use and dosage: It's crucial to follow the prescribed dosage and instructions for taking a medication to ensure its effectiveness and minimise the risk of side effects. The NHS has a useful guide on using medicines safely here.
- Monitoring and follow-up: Some medications require regular monitoring or follow-up appointments with your healthcare professional to ensure their safety and effectiveness. Be sure to schedule and attend these appointments as needed.
Can I buy EMLA Cream in the UK?
Yes, you can buy EMLA Cream in the UK with a valid prescription and or consultation form. EMLA Cream is available in the UK for purchase from local pharmacies with a valid prescription and or consultation and to purchase from Welzo if in stock. It is imperative that you ensure that the pharmacy you are buying the products from is licensed and registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
Where can I buy EMLA Cream?
You can buy EMLA Cream online from Welzo.com upon completion of a consultation form and a free review from a prescribing pharmacist.
Are EMLA Cream users satisfied with the product?
We have a list of reviews from customers taking EMLA Cream at the bottom of this page. For more information of the reviews of EMLA Cream head over to drugs.com for further details.
Can I buy EMLA Cream from an online pharmacy?
Yes, you can purchase EMLA Cream from an online pharmacy. However, this is dependent on your eligibility for the medication.
How much does EMLA Cream cost?
The costs of EMLA Cream are listed at the top of the page. Pricing is provided as a reference as treatment options will be shown upon completing the consultation form.
How long does EMLA Cream take to work?
The active ingredients, lidocaine and prilocaine in EMLA cream begin to work quickly. Most people will start to feel a numbing effect within 30 to 60 minutes.
How do you use EMLA Cream?
You should only use EMLA Cream as prescribed by your doctor. To learn more, read the information leaflet.
EMLA Cream can be used for various reasons, including:
- Before small procedures (such as having a needle put in or minor skin operations)
- Outpatient procedures (such as hair removal techniques)
- Hospital procedures (such as split-skin grafting)
- Prior to the removal of wart-like spots called mollusca
- Use on genital skin before injections of local anaesthetics or minor skin surgery
- Use on leg ulcers before cleaning or removal of damaged skin.
What should you do if you use more EMLA Cream than you should?
If you use more EMLA Cream than is described in this leaflet or more than your doctor, pharmacist or nurse has told you to, talk to one of them straight away, even if you do not feel any symptoms. Symptoms of using too much EMLA Cream are listed below. These symptoms are unlikely to happen if EMLA Cream is used as recommended.
- Feeling light-headed or dizzy.
- Tingling of the skin around the mouth and numbness of the tongue.
- Abnormal taste.
- Blurred vision.
- Ringing in the ears.
- There is also a risk of ‘acute methaemoglobinaemia’ (a problem with blood pigment levels).
This is more likely when certain medicines have been taken at the same time. If this happens, the skin becomes bluish-grey due to a lack of oxygen.
In serious cases of overdose, symptoms may include fits, low blood pressure, slowed breathing, stopped breathing and altered heartbeat. These effects may be life-threatening.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
What are the ingredients in EMLA Cream?
EMLA Cream contains:
- Macrogolglycerol hydroxystearate,
- Carbomer 974P,
- Sodium hydroxide
- Purified water.
Welzo prescription medication is shipped out for next-day delivery in discreet packaging.
Welzo only works with UK-based pharmacies. All our medication is authentic and issued by GPhC-registered pharmacies and prescribers.
Our team of clinicians and health experts can support you along every step of your treatment journey.
The prices for medication and healthcare products can be overwhelming. It's important to choose a provider that offers affordable options without sacrificing quality.