At What Age Does A Man Stop Ejaculating?

Old man with a beard

Good ejaculation is an essential part of successful sexual intercourse.

Ejaculation is the process of ejecting semen during the process of sexual intercourse. It is derived from 2 words, ex (out) and macular (to throw, hurl or shoot).

How does ejaculation occur?

When the duration and intensity of sexual activity cross a threshold level, ejaculation occurs. Ejaculation of semen in the vagina is a part of sexual intercourse. Finally, the pelvic floor muscles cause wavy contractions in the vagina that expels the semen during orgasm (an intense feeling of pleasure and excitement experienced during the ejaculation). But, what happens as your age advances?

Age and sexual health

Age has a substantial impact on your sexual health and sexual performance. Your testes remain active and continue to produce sperm (albeit in smaller numbers) and testosterone (albeit in low concentrations). So, you are very likely to have some level of sexual desire by your 60s and 70s. This age can be even higher if you are exceptionally sexually active.

The same will happen to ejaculation. You will continue to ejaculate, but the intense climax, amount of semen and intense orgasm becomes a distant past. You will begin to notice a decline in these functions as you enter your middle age. By the late '60s, your sexual health will be compromised and you will start to experience premature ejaculation, delayed ejaculation and other manifestations of sexual dysfunction.

Do any studies support this claim?

A 2009 study found that men tend to be more sexually active than females and 38.9% of men in the age group 75-85% were sexually active and ejaculating normally. But, what can cause ejaculation problems in the rest of the men? Here are some of the issues you can experience in old age that can compromise ejaculation.

You lose your sexual appeal

As you age, the physiological changes in your body might affect your confidence negatively. Remember that ejaculation and orgasm are complex functions involving both the nervous system and muscles. Psychological status can have a huge impact on sexual activity.

The consistency of semen changes

Do you know only 5% of your semen is sperm? The rest 95% of the liquid comes from seminal vesicles (70%) and prostate glands (25%). The thick, milky white secretion is produced by the prostate gland. With age, both these organs produce fewer secretions. The semen becomes thin and watery. Even young men leading a healthy sex life also note a decreased quality of semen after prostate cancer surgery.

Your muscles become weak

The muscles of your penis become weak with age leading to erectile dysfunction. Even more importantly, the pelvic floor muscle which causes the ejaculation becomes weak. The most important muscle is the bulbocavernosus muscle (BC) which provides the 'horsepower' for ejaculation. The weakness of this muscle will cause a severe male sexual disorder by diminishing the force and trajectory of the ejaculation.

What can you do to maintain sexual performance?

Several options are available to treat erectile dysfunction and delayed and premature ejaculation. Pelvic floor muscle training can help to treat premature ejaculation. It is important to treat any chronic health conditions first. A healthy lifestyle and safe sexual relationships will also help you to stay sexually active past the 60s. Making your life stress-free and having good physical communication with your partner will help immensely.

To see our Erectile Dysfunction Page, click here

To see our Premature Ejaculation Page, click here

For a full range of products and medications, visit our Welzo Online Pharmacy Page. For more details, click here.

Share article
Get 10% off your first order
Get 10% off your first order

Plus get the inside scoop on our latest content and updates in our monthly newsletter.